This is an entry level patrol officer position with emphasis on community policing and problem-solving. Recruit officers:
- Must successfully complete the police academy and the field training program.
- Will be assigned to a fixed shift with rotating days off upon successful completion of field training.
- Must pass the one-year from date of hire probationary period.
Kind of Work
This is law enforcement work in which the employee is responsible for protection of life and property in Arlington County. Duties include:
- patrolling an assigned area on foot, bicycle, motorcycle or in a car to detect or prevent crime
- conducting investigations into a variety of criminal offenses such as larceny, auto theft, and robbery
- assisting in investigation of major crimes such as rape and homicide
- directing vehicular and pedestrian traffic
- preparing written reports on offenses committed, arrests, and other activities
- testifying in court proceedings
- other related duties as required
Work is performed in accordance with departmental rules and regulations and involves an element of personal danger. Employees must be able to exercise considerable independent judgement at all times.
Wages and Benefits
- Starting annual salary of $48,000. Upgraded to Police Officer II upon successful completion of field training — with a salary increase of 5%. Paid overtime at a rate of time and one-half
- Bilingual pay
- Value added pay for department recognized certifications
- Two health plans to choose from at low rates
- Yearly salary increase based upon performance
- Eligible for a promotion to supervisory level after a minimum of four years
- Fixed shift with rotating days off scheduled for uniformed patrol
- Uniforms and equipment are furnished by the department
- Take home cars for patrol officers that live in Arlington County (availability dependent)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Education leave
- 25 year retirement — no age limit
- County pays a stipend to use at your discretion towards health benefits for retirees with 25 years of service
- Deferred Retirement Option Plan (DROP)
- Credit Union Membership
The public depends on police officers to protect lives and property. We work and live by a set of core values: courage, competence, commitment, compassion, restraint, respect and integrity. Our mission is the reduction of crime and the improvement of the quality of life in Arlington County by making it a place where all people can live safely and without fear. If you have these qualities, if you have the drive and the passion, then we want you to join. Police work is like no other job in the world.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Arlington County Police Department makes every effort to recruit qualified individuals from all backgrounds to serve our unique community. We are proud of the diversity across all positions and ranks within ACPD.
Why Arlington County
Just across the Potomac River from our nation’s capital, Arlington is diverse in its opportunities and its population. Arlington continues to maintain pleasant residential and commercial neighborhoods and a high quality of living for all that work and live here.