Make A Plan
Making a family disaster plan involves discussing what your family will do during an actual emergency.
- Decide on a meeting place in the event your home is inaccessible.
- Designate an out-of-town friend or relative as a point of contact.
- Plan for the specific needs of your household, such as transportation of medical equipment.
- Prepare an emergency kit– including essential items to last at least three days:
- Battery-powered radio and extra batteries
- Non-perishable food and a can opener
- First aid kit and medications
- Pet supplies
Utilize the links below to find what works best for you to MAKE A PLAN!
Arlington Prepares App: The County’s new Arlington Prepares mobile app provides users with smart phones an easy way to stay prepared – no matter where you might be when a crisis happens. The Arlington Prepares app (look for the logo) is available as a free download in the Apple App Store and Android Marketplace .
Be Ready, Make a Plan: You can download forms, get alerts from around the National Capital Region (NCR), and find out how the NCR has prepared for an emergency.
Personal Response: Steps for personal preparedness.
American Red Cross: Find useful information about preparing for specific emergencies from heat waves to chemical emergencies.
American Red Cross, Arlington Chapter: Local American Red Cross chapter providing resources, classes and assistance to the Arlington County community.
Northern Virginia Regional Commission: Provides tips for creating various plans to account for extended periods without power or even creating go-kits.
Ready.gov: Get useful checklists, downloads, and information to keep you family, business, and kids prepared during an emergency.