Pentagon City Station Second Elevator
The construction of an additional elevator will improve access to the Pentagon City Metro Station for patrons using various bus services as well as customers and tourists. The additional elevator will add redundancy and meet Metro’s current design standards for elevator availability. This is the second highest ridership station in Northern Virginia. It is anticipated to have 37,000 entries and exits by 2030. However, by 2010, there were already 36,000 entries and exits on an average weekday, a 13% growth since 2006.
Arlington County requested WMATA to conduct a Pentagon City Elevator Feasibility Study (PDF) of adding an elevator at the Pentagon City Metro Station in anticipation of streetscape enhancements planned in the vicinity. The study was completed in October 2010.
The second elevator will create an accessible entry on the west side of S. Hayes Street and will provide redundancy, in accordance with current WMATA design criteria, when one elevator is out of service for any reason.
- July 2012 – Board Approves A&E Services Contract for Preliminary Engineering
- August 2012 – Execute A&E Services Contract for Preliminary Engineering
- April 2013 – Develop Design/Build Request for Proposal
- April 2013 – Complete Preliminary Engineering and 30% Preliminary Design
- September 2013 – Award Design/Build Contract for 100% Design and Construction Start
- November 2014 – Anticipated Construction Completion
- $4,485,193 Federal Grant Funding
- $400,000 State Matching Funding
- $200,000 Local Bond Match